Supported Families, an Endowed Social Enterprise (unfinished)
- Community college students
- Young parents + kids at risk of CPS involvement because of poverty
Goals for residents:
- Earn online degrees or certificates, with completion rates in line with public research universities
- Vocational training and start businesses
- Build savings
- Build healthy families
- Pooled household services like laundry and basic food
- Pooled childcare, augmented with parenting training
- Shared services for Internet, phone, etc.
- Heavy surveillance for child safety and a healthy environment (drug free)
- Educational support services for online college and for kids
- Placement with local employers
- Entrepreneurship incubator
- Minimize need for ongoing funding beyond initial endowment of land and buildings so that it’s extensible.
- Anybody can join except perhaps to keep certain quotas for need. Basically like affordable housing.
- Housing spots should not be supply constrained
- Recruit mentors to stay temporarily or permanently
Written on July 8, 2022